australiandesign,

The Little Red Blogger: The Interview, Part Two!

05:24 Unknown 0 Comments

If you haven’t checked out The Little Red Blogger then what on earth are you doing with your life?

whatta babe!


My gorgeous gal-pal is not only one of my biggest inspirations in life, but in style and fashion too. WATCH THIS SPACE. She’ll have her own label and more followers than Bec Judd in the next two years, just watch!
She did a little interview with me late last year which you can check out here, and I recently got to turn the tables on her

so nice, you see her twice x

Sparrow: When and why did you start blogging?
The Little Red Blogger:
I started at the beginning of the year, mostly because I have an unhealthy obsession with clothes and fashion and pretty things and needed an outlet. I'm studying full time so am on a student budget so wanted to share my experience of being a broke-ass fashionista with people. I know there's more of us out there!

Sparrow: Where do you draw inspo from? Life? Work?
TLRB:
All of the above. I'm so inspired by people on the streets for fashion. People watching is one of my favourite past-times. I love seeing how people dress and how they put outfits together. I blog about everything though, and usually whatever is in my heart at the time (how hooey does that sound?!) but if I'm on struggle street I'll write about it, if I cook a mean dinner I'll write about it, if I'm having a bad hair day I'll write about it. Blogging is a great outlet for that!

Sparrow: Your top three designers?
TLRB:
Oh my gahd how does one choose? There's so many! I'm going to cheat and give you six. Top three Aussie designers are Toni Matecevski, Dion Lee and a tie between Ellery and Josh Goot and top three international are Jean Paul Gautier, Alexander McQueen and Yohji Yomamoto. Ok, that's actually seven but that was a tough question…

Alexander McQueen 2015


Dion Lee 2015


Ellery 2015


Jean Paul Gautier 2015


Josh Goot 2015


Yohji Yomamoto


Toni Matecevski

Sparrow: Haha, revenge is sweet! So what do you love most about fashion?
TLRB:
I love that it can be interpreted in so many ways. There no right or wrong, there's no rules. What you wear can literally change your entire mood, and I love that! Rachel Zoe once said “Style is a way of saying who you are without having to speak”, and I find that to be so true.



Sparrow: I agree, absolutely. So then, what do you think about mainstream, fast fashion chains finishing at size sixteen? Do you think it limits women and their style choices?
TLRB:
Absolutely it does. I think times are definitely changing though and there are more and more brands waking up to the fact that the average Aussie babe doesn't always fall into the sample size category and a lot of brands are starting to realise that they're missing out on a huge market there. There are some great brands like Basque and Bib (available at Myer) that to do beautiful and fashion forward pieces for curvy girls. Online stores like Asos are great too because they show the clothes on a body so it makes buying online without trying it on a little less scary.

Sparrow: On that note, you’re petite and lovely – is shopping ever frustrating for you? Pants too long, nightmare jeans?
TLRB: Always! I'm barely 5'3" so everything I buy is too long. Even midi skirts are maxi's on me. Luckily I'm pretty handy on a sewing machine! But I have learned to always try before I buy and even if I absolutely LOVE the piece, if it doesn't fit and look flattering then I'll leave it behind. And then cry. Or console myself with a new pair of shoes.. Even though I'm quite petite I'm also pear shaped so I have trouble finding jeans that fit my thighs and waist which can be super frustrating. I've found Forever New jeans are the best for that.











Sparrow: Heels – how do you make them work?
TLRB: Oh man I would sleep in heels if I could. I love them! I always put gel cushions in my heels, no matter the occasion so I can last in them all day or night. It makes a world of difference! I think pointed toe heel with a pair of jeans and a tee is SO sexy, but I can't go past a statement heel. Anything in a crazy colour, crazy embellishments, straps, buckles, whatever. If I could have a closet full of Sophia Webster and Nicholas Kirkwood heels I would be one happy lady!

Sophia Webster


Nicholas Kirkwood













Sparrow: You’re currently studying at fashion school – what’s that like?
TLRB:
Intense to say the least. I think the biggest misconception people have about fashion school is that "It's just fashion, it must be easy." It's not. Really, really, not. The contact hours are pretty standard, twenty one hours a week in second year, but the homework expectation is about the same amount of non-contact hours. While you work and intern and try and have some sort of life on the side. Yup. Sure. Easy. They make it tough because the industry is tough and competition is fierce so they want you to be prepared. I really love it though. I love being constantly challenged and being able to be creative and being able to do something I'm passionate about. I feel very lucky for that. Even if I am a walking zombie for lack of sleep all the time. Coffee becomes your best friend at fashion school.

Sparrow: End game, where do you see career in fashion heading? Owning your own brand? CEO of Chanel? Chief editor of Vogue?
TLRB: All of the above of course. I'm basically Grace Coddington. (It's all in the hair, ha.) In all seriousness the end game is to have a career making beautiful things, whatever that entails. I've always thought the best thing in the world would be to be walking down the street somewhere and see a girl wearing one of my designs. I couldn't think of a better feeling. I love painting and drawing too so would happily do that for a living if someone will pay me for it!

Sparrow: How important do you think beauty is to fashion? Do runway shows need hair and make-up for looks to work?
TLRB: Oh it's so important! Your beauty look is the icing on the cake. Even if it's simple and you wear it the same every day (like yours truly because I'm so lazy) it finishes off your look and, like fashion, makeup and a good blow-dry can literally change your entire mood! For runway fashion the beauty look gets just about as much love and time and research as the fashion itself. It completely changes the look and feel of a show. And a lot of the time the beauty look of a runway show is the first thing to become mainstream because it's easy and much more economical to recreate. Hello Chanel smoky eyes and black headbands!


Sparrow: What’s your favourite make-up brand? Or do you mix and match?TLRB: I mix and match and tend to try new brands especially for foundation. Australis is definitley my go-to brand for bronzer and powder but for liquid foundation I love Nars and MAC. And for lippy it's usually Revlon, MAC or Sportsgirl.

Sparrow: Ok, you did it to me, so it’s payback time – I’m ditching you on one of the nicer desert islands and because I’m nice you can take a whooping FIVE products with you. And a copy of Elle magazine.
TLRB: Haha thanks, you babe! Ok I would take my Lucas Paw Paw ointment because I can't live without it, Sukin Eye Treatment, Olay moisturizer with SPF 30+ (so important for us pasty white redheads!), my favourite perfume Hot Couture by Givenchy and.. my phone? I know it's not a beauty product but I'm going to need a way to blog about how you abandoned me on a desert island.

Sparrow: Good luck getting bars out there! Speaking of, does YouTube ever factor into your styling or beauty routines? Do you have a favourite YouTuber?
TLRB: In all honestly I never go on YouTube. Ridiculous, I know! The few times I have though I've found its very easy to find some incredible beauty bloggers and I find it a great platform for that. I have noticed there a very few fashion bloggers on there. Maybe I need to change that? Still waiting for a BeautyByASparrow YouTube, just quietly…
not everyone can make me ugly laugh like this

Sparrow: Ok, ok! Point taken haha! (and yes you should missy!)
 What’s the best thing about Melbourne?
TLRB: Where do I start? The coffee, the shopping, the architecture, the people, the fashion. There's always something to do, always a new store to find, always new designers popping up and good coffee on every corner. What more do you need?


Sparrow: What’s your favourite beauty treat? A mani-pedi? A face mask?
TLRB: I love a good mani-pedi but you can't go past a good facial. Especially when they throw in a face and scalp massage. Heaven.

Sparrow: Finally, what’s your go-to beauty look for a night out?
TLRB: Usually it's a smokey eye with browns and golds and a peachy-nude lip and I'll throw some messy waves in my hair. Although if I'm pressed for time it'll be liquid eyeliner and a red lip, a lá Amy Winehouse. You know, without the beehive hair and druggy boyfriend…

I feel you girl, I feel you. Thank you so much, my lovely little red blogger, and I can’t wait to see your next big move in the fashion game!
Pleeeeeaaaaasssee head on over and subscribe to her blog, and follow her on Instagram @thelittleredblogger <3

Until next time little birds,
Tweet tweet xx



You Might Also Like

0 comments: