#australiscosmetics #almaycosmetics #forevernew #sportsgirlau,

AContour Review: I'm sad!

05:23 Unknown 0 Comments

Ughhh I hate to write a bad review

Not that this is a bad review, as I'll explain below I don't think this is necessarily a bad product, for a lot of different reasons, but I need to be honest, even if it does make me feel bad!

From the get-go I need to emphasise how much I LOVE Australis cosmetics, from their ethos, to their packaging, to the fact they're Australian made and owned, down to their colour variety and price point... Ah so much love!

Alas, the AContour palette didn't stir up quite the same feelings in my heart of hearts.


The packaging is typical Australis black and pink, sleek and exciting. I was so, so happy to find this in BULK at Priceline I can't even begin to tell you, and down to $16.50 from a cool $20? Score!
Australis themselves say; 
"Define your features and shape like a pro with these six powders designed to contour and highlight the face, taking your daily make up routine next level! This palette is formulated to provide a natural, healthy glow for any skin tone offering a contouring trio and a highlighting trio."

A cool concept, and one I was very eager to try out. The palette is made up of six shades, three light, and three dark. My first attempts had me choosing the VERY wrong shade and having to do some damage control with a make-up wipe. The trios are powders, which I'll admit did surprise me, because for whatever reason I thought it was a creme palette. 

Ah, brand new make up, how I love thee! 

I've been using shade six to create shadow, and shade two for highlighting. Below are swatches on my arm in both natural light and shadow to give you an idea of what they look like against my skin tone. 
 

The powders are extremely pigmented. Holy sh*zballs, are they pigmented. That saying, less is more? Well almost-nothing is more with these bad boys. Buffing has become my technique of choice when using this palette, as unless you've buffed, you have a very zebra-line-ish looking face.

Which brings me to the pros and cons of this palette.
I wouldn't say it's a bad product - the quality is excellent, and up to the high standards I've come to expect from Australis products. Vegan friendly, make-up bag sized, aesthetically pleasing, compact and cute. The powders haven't upset my skin which is a miracle on its own, and I can absolutely see why so many bloggers and YouTubers have fallen in love. It's handy - you've literally got all the shades you could need for any skin tone, and there's even a little how-to on the back in case you're unsure.

That's my face with some AContour powders happening - look at my nose in particular!

THE PROS
Easy to use, nice size, sleek packaging, and I can imagine that when I have a bit of a fake tan happening and a slightly darker foundation, the shades would absolutely help me in my contouring. I also think that for a function, or an event, where make-up can be that little bit heavier, these powders would be a godsend. Great for dancers, and performers; for clubbing, and for formals and socials, where there will be more dramatic lighting and a greater need for sculpting and highlighting, I would absolutely be reaching for this palette!

THE CONS
Remember the whole, extreme-pigment-and-buffing thing? Does anyone really have a spare ten minutes in their make-up routine to be doing that extra legwork? I know sometimes I don't, and the great thing about my Maybelline Dream Sun bronzer is that I literally whack on a little bit and it does the job. The AContour powders need that touch more effort and technique, to stop them from looking garish and, dare I say, drag queen-esque? I'm all for a glam contour and Kardashian-esque sculpting, but I can't be sitting in front of my mirror buffing and negotiating with powders every morning. I got stuff to do, people to see, places to go!
Speaking of places to go, as much as I'd like to say I have a full, busy, buzzing, and fabulous social calender, I really only go out maybe twice a month, and only one of those things will be a formal/dramatically lit event. Realistically, that greater need for highlighting and sculpting would only really come around three, maybe four times a year for me (seriously guys I have no life).
Now in summer I do tend to rock a fake tan, and have a bit more of a social life happening, so I can sort of foresee myself LOVING this palette in spring/summer 2016, when I'll need to look my selfie/photo best. For now though? Again, maybe three, four times this autumn/winter I'll need a heavily contoured look, at most.
The other thing about a cream palette, or cream-based products (such as the Maybelline FITme sticks) is that they're buildable. Whilst I love that Australis have delivered a strong, pigmented and good quality powder, for me, it doesn't leave a heap of wriggle room. I don't find the powders to be buildable, and as I said, having to buff a colour down to match your foundation/skin tone is a lot of extra work in the mornings.

Bottom line - this is NOT a bad product, it does as it promises, and it doesn't upset my skin or ruin my make-up. That being said, I expected to love and be wowed by the palette, and that hasn't happened either. I honestly think a cream-based palette, or a good, stick foundation with a light concealer works better as a contouring kit than six shades (most of which this pale whale can't even use).

What do you think, little birds? Used the palette and love it? Swear by it? Hate me for even uttering a bad word against it? Please let me know in the comments!

Until next time,
Tweet tweet xx





You Might Also Like

0 comments: